Sarah Farmer Peace Award Presentation - August 11, 2012 |
Sarah Farmer Peace Award to Reverend Robert Thompson of Phillips Exeter Academy in honor of his work over the past 25 years in bringing diverse faith traditions together in loving acceptance of each other's spiritual principles. Location:
Sep 05, 2015 10:00 AM
PORTSMOUTH PEACE TREATY DAY
For information about ordering fine art prints of this Treaty Centennial symbol, and other commemorative items, click here.
To join the Japan-America Society of New Hampshire online, click here.
For information about the Russia Society of New Hampshire, write to
PO Box 177
Concord NH 03302-0177
For a Russian-language description of the Treaty exhibit click here.
For the Russian-language Library of Congress description of the Treaty of Portsmouth, click here.
|News and Links|
To learn nore, the following books are available, click here to order:
Heroes & Friends: Behind the Scenes of the Treaty of Portsmouth by Michiko Nakanishi
Also available, click here for ordering:
An Uncommon Commitment to Peace Exhibit Catalogue published by the Japan-America Society of NH
Blessed Are the Peacemakers: The Service of Thanksgiving for the Portsmouth Treaty, September 5, 1905 by Marina Grot Turkevich Naumann
Original 1905 newsreel footage on DVD
Treaty of Portsmouth 1905-2005 book of reproduction historical postcards.
The Portsmouth Peace Process: Guide for Teachers by Northeast Cultural Coop
Portsmouth Peace Treaty Trail
For hours, directions, details on the Portsmouth Historical Society museum where the Portsmouth Peace Treaty exhibit is displayed, click here.
For hours, directions, details on Strawbery Banke Museum and the Shapiro House, owned by one of the founders of Temple Israel who figured in the Treaty citizen diplomacy, click here.
For information about Portsmouth Naval Shipyard and Building 86 where the formal negotiations were held. click here.
For more information about Wentworth By the Sea Hotel, where both delegations stayed, click here.
For more information about Green Acre Bahai School and Sarah Farmer's commitment to the peace process, click here.
The Portsmouth Public Library maintains an micorfilm archive of local newspapers and an index of the relevant Treaty reporting and other related materials. The archive of original newspapers, photographs and other documents is maintained by the Portsmouth Athenaeum.
In 1905 he worked for three months to convince the Russians and Japanese to come to the negotiating table to end the Russo-Japanese War which had been raging since January 1904. Now called "World War Zero," it was the first modern and brutally mechanized war and threatened to bring the nations of
Thanks in part to TR's back-channel diplomacy with emissaries in
To celebrate the Portsmouth Peace Treaty Anniversary Committee has organized:
· "An Uncommon Commitment to Peace: Portsmouth Peace Treaty" exhibit at the Portsmouth Historical Society museum, corner of State & Middle St. Portsmouth. Adults $8 children under 12 free. www.portsmouthhistory.org, Open daily 11 am - 5pm May 27-Oct 31
· "The Peace of Portsmouth" an original play based on local newspaper accounts of the negotiations. Pontine Theatre,
· Portsmouth Peace Treaty Trail guided (fee) and self-guided (free map provided) tours of key sites important to the 1905 Peace Treaty summer. Greater
· Wentworth By the Sea Hotel "History Package" includes accommodations, dinner, illustrated coffee table book on the history of the hotel (which is where the Russian and Japanese delegates, and TR's informant, stayed) and tickets to "An Uncommon Commitment" exhibit. $149 per person, double occupancy, per night. www.wentworth.com
· Aug 25-28. “Global Governance and the Lesser Peace” seminar and annual Peace Flag raising ceremony. Green Acre Baha'i School, Eliot
· Teddy Roosevelt Nobel Peace Prize Centennial commemoration. www.portsmouthpeacetreaty.com Dec 10 (the anniversary of the Prize presentation).
Additional lectures and events information constantly updated at www.portsmouthpeacetreaty.com